PostGraduate Diploma in Mass Communication
- PostGraduate Diploma in Mass Communication
- University of Nairobi (UoN)
- Postgraduate Diploma Program
- 4 years
PostGraduate Diploma in Mass Communication program at University of Nairobi course details
The Post Graduate Diploma in Mass Communication is designed for those with a good academic background and interested in pursuing a career in journalism or those who wish to develop and extend their competence in professional areas by acquiring the skills and techniques of the journalist.
Minimum Entry Requirements
Entry requirements for admission to the University of Nairobi for the above programme
- Candidates must be graduates with good first degrees of at least second class standing from the university of Nairobi or equivalent from other recognised universities.
- In addition to a good first degree, candidates will be required to show evidence of ability and interest in communicating in the mass media.
In particular the programme aims to:
- Equip students to be critical and creative thinkers, who are highly intellectually competent in the interpretation of development and communication from the international, regional and national perspectives;
- Provide students with sound academic and theoretical foundations, as well as practical skills in communication and development, and the effective and efficient application of this to their practice.
- Ground students in the multidisciplinary perspective: this includes exposure to the basic tenets in selected liberal arts and social science disciplines, in the context of communication and media.
- Prepare students to be flexible and able to adapt easily to various communication environments.
- Provide students with the necessary academic competence to pursue higher studies in communication related disciplines.
- Prepare students to be compliant with emerging technological advances.
- Theory of Communication I
- History of Journalism*
- News Writing I
- Feature Writing
- Media Law and Ethics
- Radio and Television I
- Editing for Print I
- Photojournalism* 3
- Specialised Writing I
*Choose one of two options
- News Writing II
- Editorial Writing
- Radio and Television II
- Theory of Communication II
- Editing for Print II
- Mass Communication Research
- Media Management*
- Public Relations*
- Specialised Writing II
*Choose one of the two options
- Media Practicals
- Anvil Production*
- Television and Radio*
Fourth Semester Fourth Semester
- Media attachment
- Project paper