Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Strathmore University (Strathmore)
- Masters Program
- 2 years
Master of Science in Information Technology program at Strathmore University course details
The Master of Science in Information Technology (MSc.IT) programme at Strathmore University is designed to meet the needs of the market for expertise in Information Technology (IT).
The programme as offered at Strathmore University is intended to address the increasing demand in the work-place for IT professionals with a broad and sound knowledge of both technical and managerial skills.
The Master of Science in Information Technology course at Strathmore is structured to focus on issues surrounding the development, implementation and management of information systems.
Course units focusing on applied computer skills are emphasized to address the needs of students from various backgrounds who wish to build careers in the field of information technology. The course also offers leadership and management skills preparing students to take up leadership roles in the IT industry.
Students are prepared to work as information management personnel, system designers and developers, senior level managers in IT, academics in IT, etc. The programme opens the way for candidates who may wish to develop and further their knowledge in IT through research, with the intention of progressing to doctoral levels.
Why study MSc. IT?
- To meet the needs of growing demand from prospective students who wish to progress beyond the undergraduate degree.
- To market professionals with qualifications that can enable them take up managerial positions in the IT industry.
- The need for academic development to fill up growing need for highly competent IT professionals who may wish to progress in their studies to doctoral levels and therefore become experts and researchers in the IT industry.
The target group is university graduates who have attained the minimum qualifications and have an interest in advancing their career in Information Technology or wish to add value to their professions through the new technologies in IT. Specifically, the programme is open to:
- First degree holders from various universities in IT, with an interest to develop and advance their career in information technology.
- Professionals with a first degree in IT and already working in the industry, who have an interest in advancing their career, knowledge and skills in IT.
Minimum Entry Requirements
The following are eligible for admission into the Master of Science in Information Technology (MSc. IT) programme at Strathmore University:
- Holders of First Class or Upper Second Class Honours degrees in a Computer Science or IT discipline from recognized universities; or
- Holders of other related qualifications from recognized universities, considered by the Academic Council as equivalent to a First Class or Upper Second Class degree in Computer Science or IT discipline; or
- Holders of a first degree in IT with at least two year’s working experience in a business or research environment
- Holders of Lower Second Class degrees plus two year working experience and Postgraduate Diplomas or Certificates;
In addition to meeting the above admission criteria, applicants:
- Will normally have at least two year’s working experience in a business or research environment; and
- Will be required to attend and pass an oral interview and a graduate entrance examination (GEE)
- Will be required to present two reference letters from academic referees
Exemptions and Credit transfers will be granted at the discretion of the Academic Council and will be no more than 50% of the total course loading.
Interviews and Entrance Examinations
Interviews are conducted every Wednesday and Friday from 2pm. Applicants are required to come with the following items:
- 3 passport-size photos
- Originals and copies of academic and professional certificates
- Copy of national ID
- Ksh. 1,000 interview fee (non-refundable)
The MSc.IT Programme at Strathmore University is set to help students progressing from undergraduate degree course appreciate higher level concepts in information technology and be able to take up managerial positions in the industry.
The MSc.IT Programme aims to achieve the following objectives:
- To develop mastery of emerging technologies in IT infrastructures, software development, IT systems management including IT security and to appreciate the necessity for continuing professional development
- To demonstrate understanding of and apply current theories, models and techniques for the software development process and quality assurance and reconcile conflicting project objectives finding acceptable compromises within limitations
- To demonstrate mastery of IT leadership, business, and ethical decision-making skills and how to integrate emerging strategic IT issues into the corporate business strategy
- To demonstrate competence in advanced and independent research methods and skills by successfully undertaking an IT research project
The MSc. IT programme at Strathmore University is based on coursework, examinations, and a project and consists of twenty two (22) units divided into eight (8) core (methodological & analytical) units, five (5)required (leadership) units, five (5) specialisation course units and a project/dissertation equivalent to four course units.
MSc. IT at Strathmore University runs for a period of two academic years, divided into six semesters (on a part-time basis) of sixteen (16) weeks each.
Areas of Specialization
The MSc. IT Curriculum provides for the following areas of specialization:
- Software Engineering
- Information Systems Management
- Artificial Intelligence
- Systems Security and Audit
- Networking and Communications
Programme Start Dates
The programme starts in May every year.
People who viewed this Master of Science in Information Technology program offered at Strathmore University were also interested in:
- Master of Science in Computer Based Information Systems
- Strathmore University (Strathmore)