University of Nairobi (UoN)
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN APPLIED HUMAN NUTRITION
- Masters Program
- Duration : 2 years
Advanced training and research in nutrition is necessary in order to address upcoming challenges and emerging issues in nutrition and health. There is an increasing demand on training in applied nutrition over the years. The MSc. Programme at the University of Nairobi is designed to help the trainees understand malnutrition and its consequences and methods of alleviating nutritional problems. The programme will, therefore, build capacity for the improvement of nutritional policy making in Kenya and other developing countries in African and other regions. The programme will offer practical training using appropriate data collected in Kenya and other African countries
1. Holders of at least an upper second class honours degree or its equivalent qualification in BSc. Food Science, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences or Medical Sciences from University of Nairobi, or equivalent qualification from any other Institution recognized by the Senate.
2. Holders of at least a Lower Second Class honours degree in the same disciplines as in 1 from the University of Nairobi or from another Institution recognized by the Senate, but must show proof of academic advancement either through research and publication or postgraduate training.
3. Pass degree with at least five years of experience and must show proof of academic advancement either through research and publication or postgraduate training.
The objectives of this course offered at the University of Nairobi are to:
1. Provide students with abilities to assess community nutritional problems from a multi-disciplinary point of view, while applying information technology in suggesting/ working out realistic and feasible intervention measures.
2. Provide students with abilities to implement investigations in the field of applied nutrition and analyze, interpret and disseminate findings to the relevant stakeholders.
3. Provide students with abilities to effectively use relevant nutrition tools and information to advocate for nutrition actions and influence policies.
Human Nutrition Requirements for Growth and Development
Nutritional Intervention, Education and Nutritional Anthropology
Applied Statistics and Computer Use
Food Production Systems/Food Economics and Policy
Food Science and Food Protection
Nutrition Project Planning and Mgt
Nutritional Surveillance & Emergencies
Community Nutrition Problem Diagnoses
Programme Development and Research Methodology 60
Applied Dietetics in Food Service Systems
Food/Nutrition Programmers at Community Level
Health & Nutritional Sector Analysis
Nutrition, Population Growth and Dev