University of Nairobi (UoN)
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN ANIMAL GENETICS AND BREEDING
- Masters Program
- Duration : 2 years
Qualification for entry to the University of Nairobi for a Master of Science in Animal Genetics and Breeding degree.
1. Holders of the following degree awards of the University of Nairobi or equivalent qualifications from universities or institutions recognized by the senate of the University of Nairobi;
a) Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine
b) Bachelor of Science with at least Upper Second-Class Honours in Agriculture, Range Management, Food Science and Technology, Wildlife or Zoology.
2. Holders of Lower Second-class Honours degree or with at least two years relevant experience;
3. Holders of Pass degree or equivalent qualifications as listed in 2.2.1 above with either a relevant post-graduate diploma or five years experience.
The objectives of this programme offered at the University of Nairobi are to:
1. Equip geneticists and animal breeders with knowledge and skills in animal genetics and breeding to enhance sustainable management of animal genetic resources.
2. Train manpower to undertake academic responsibility in research, consultancies and teaching in animal genetics and breeding.
3. Train manpower to document and conserve animal biodiversity and apply biotechnology in livestock improvement.
Biometry & computer use
Application of statistics in animal production
Principles of scientific communication
Animal Breeding plans and programmes