University of Nairobi (UoN)
MASTER OF ARTS IN INTERPRETATION
- Masters Program
- Duration : 4 years
This is a postgraduate degree programme offered at the University of Nairobi that is designed to equip students with the theoretical and practical skills necessary for them to become professional interpreters. Apart from equipping them with the knowledge and understanding of the discipline of interpretation, the programme also has a strong practical element in which students will interpret texts from various fields and cultural contexts. The course is designed for practicing interpreters, linguists, professionals from various fields and all those keen on improving their interpretation skills or starting a career in interpretation. The programme offers translation training in various languages including English, Kiswahili, Arabic, French, German and Chinese.
This is a professional course that is designed to meet the highest international standards in order to produce professionals who can fit anywhere in the global market.
Entry requirements for above programme at the University of Nairobi
1. The minimum qualifications for admission to the M.A. degree programme in Interpretation shall be a Lower Second Class Bachelors degree or equivalent, obtained from an institution recognized by the University of Nairobi Senate.
2. Candidates seeking admission into the programme shall be expected to have:
a) An excellent command of their A- Language over a wide range of topics and registers.
b) An in-depth knowledge of their working languages.
c) Admission into the course shall be subject to success in an institutionally approved aptitude test.
The objectives of the University of Nairobi in offering this programme shall be:-
1. To expose students to various aspects of the profession of interpretation.
2. To equip students with the necessary skills to deliver quality interpretation in various situations.
3. To produce highly qualified interpreters for the local and international market.
Theory of Interpretation
Interníl Organisations and Interpretation
Terminology Develop. for Interpretation
Interpreting in Specialized fields
Interpretation and Emerging Global Issues
Voice Training for Interpreters
Social and Psychological Aspects of Language
Information Technology for Interpreters
Interpretation and the Media
Ethics for Interpreters