Bachelor of Technology in Communication and Computer Networks Technology - overview
This Bachelor of Technology in Communication and Computer Networks Technology provides students with the knowledge and skills to be an information and communication technology professional, with particular skills in a chosen area. The course focuses on computer and network configurations, web and application programming, and database design and maintenance.
Through a modern educational approach and state-of-the art facilities, the program will give you a firm grounding in key engineering disciplines, including: Database Driven Web Applications; LAN and WAN Technologies; Network Security and Administration; Network Operating Systems; and Wireless Networks, as well as critical business skills including entrepreneurship, communication and problem solving.
Students also have the opportunity to specialise in a particular aspect of ICT-related work.
This Communication and Computer Networks Technology degree programme at Technical University of Kenya is ideal for students who are seeking an ICT course with flexible outcomes.
Bachelor of Technology in Communication and Computer Networks Technology - objectives
Students who successfully complete this Bachelor of Technology in Communication and Computer Networks Technology course at Technical University of Kenya (TUK) will be able to:
- Identify the need for ICT solutions, elicit information from the relevant stakeholders about the requirements for the solution and research and plan solutions according to the requirements identified.
- Assess and analyse the appropriateness of methodologies and technologies for the design and implementation of ICT solutions.
- Research, evaluate and discuss the suitability and procurement options of alternatives for a given purpose.
- Identify and analyse situations that require investigations about methodologies, practices, technologies, ethical and legal issues and source the generic and specialised software tools used by IT professionals.
- Communicate effectively using written and spoken English in a professional context, adapt personal interaction style to a given audience, work efficiently in a team, guide and direct other team members, identify the pertinent legal and ethical issues and be familiar with the generic and specialised software tools used by IT professionals.
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills to apply technologies to new situations when implementing, maintaining, documenting and troubleshooting small-scale systems.
- Demonstrate an appropriate knowledge of the technologies that make up ICT infrastructure and articulate the relationships and interdependencies between technologies.
Bachelor of Technology in Communication and Computer Networks Technology - entry requirements
Candidates shall be eligible for admission into The Bachelor of Technology in Communication and Computer Networks Technology in the following categories:
- The basic admission requirement shall be the minimum entry requirements set for entry into the public universities, which is at least an average grade of C+ in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE).
- In addition, applicants are expected to have obtained at least a grade C+ in each of the cluster subjects in following cluster of subjects in KCSE examinations:
- Cluster Subjects
- Biology/any Group III/any Group IV/any Group V.
KCSE Subject Grouping,
- Group III:
- History and Government,
- Christian Religious Education,
- Islamic Religious Education,
- Hindu Religious Education.
- Group IV:
- Home Science,
- Art and Design,
- Aviation Technology,
- Computer Studies.
- Group V:
- Business Studies.
A-Levels or Equivalent
- Candidates should have a minimum of two (2) principal passes in Mathematics and Physics and a subsidiary level pass in Chemistry with a credit pass in English at O-Level.
Diploma (TEP) or Equivalent
- Candidates with a Diploma (Technical Education Project) in computer studies of Technical University of Kenya (TUK) or an equivalent qualification
Diploma in Technology or Equivalent
- Candidates with a Diploma in Technology (Dip.Tech.) in communication and computer networks of Technical University of Kenya (TUK) or an equivalent qualification
Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) or Equivalent
- Candidates with a Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) in computer studies of Technical University of Kenya (TUK) or an equivalent qualification