Bachelor of Science Information Technology - overview
Build the knowledge and skills you need to become a highly employable and competent software developer with this Bachelor of Science in Information Technology degree program from Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology.
In this program you will study software design, development and testing systems and learn to problem solve, support, troubleshoot and design IT for organisations across a wide range of sectors. You will also develop skills in project management, research and communication that will set you apart from other graduates, and help you become a leader in the information technology industry.
This Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (IT) at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology(JKUAT) is intended to provide students with a wide range of software, technical and technological ICT skills required by industry
Bachelor of Science Information Technology - objectives
The Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (IT) degree program at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology(JKUAT) is anchored on the philosophy of producing scholars and practitioners with a range of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) knowledge and skills to offer competitive leadership for the national and international market, and cultivating positive attitude towards ICT knowledge and its dynamics in a view to produce graduates capable of adapting to the changing global needs.
Bachelor of Science Information Technology - entry requirements
Inorder to enroll into the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (IT) at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology(JKUAT) a student needs to meet either of the following minimum requirements.
- Be a holder of KCSE (or equivalent examination) certificate with a minimum aggregate of C+ and a minimum of C in both Mathematics and English. OR
- Be a holder of KACE certificate with a minimum of two principal passes and subsidiary pass and a minimum of credit pass in Mathematics at KCE. OR
- Be a holder of a diploma in a relevant discipline from an institution recognized by the University Senate. OR
- Be a holder of any other qualification accepted by the University Senate as equivalent to any of the above.
- Candidates who hold a diploma from JKUAT will, at the discretion of the University Senate, be exempted from Year I. However, they must pass the three university core units in order to graduate.
- Candidates with a Diploma from other institutions recognized by the University Senate may be exempted from year one. In addition, a student registered in another University recognized by the Senate may be allowed to transfer credit to the programme.
Bachelor of Science Information Technology - course content
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (IT) has the following course requirements;
- SZL 2111 HIV/AIDS
- HRD 2101 Communication Skills
- SMA 2104 Mathematics for Science
- HBC2107 Introduction to Microeconomics
- BIT 2102 Computer Systems and Organization
- BIT 2103 Introduction to Computer Applications
- BIT 2104 Introduction to Programming and Algorithm
- BIT 2223 Installation and Customization
- SPH 2172 Physics
- BIT 2123 Structured Programming
- ICS 2202 Operating Systems I
- HPS 2103 Financial Accounting
- BIT 2108 Computer Networks
- ICS 2104 Object‑Oriented Programming I
- BIT 2111 Computer Aided Art and Design
- BIT 2112 Systems Analysis and Design
- ICS 2200 Electronic
- ICS 2206 Database Systems
- HRD 2102 Development Studies
- ICS 2211 Numerical Linear Algebra
- BIT 2116 Network Design and Management
- ICS 2203 Introduction to the Internet
- ICS 2302 Software Engineering
- ICS 2208 Operating Systems II
- BIT 2118 Application Programming I
- BIT 2121 Industrial Attachment
- ICS 2201 Object Oriented Programming II
- SMA 2101 Calculus I
- HBC2125 Introduction to Macroeconomics
- ICS 2205 Digital Logic
- ICS 2105 Data Structures and Algorithms.
- BIT 2214 Object-Oriented Systems and Design
- BIT 2204 Network Systems Administration
- BIT 2206 Application Programming II
- SMA 2102 Calculus II
- BIT 2207 Internet Application programming
- BIT 2208 Marketing Management
- ICS 2404 Advanced Database Management Systems
- SMA 2103 Probability and Statistics I
- BIT 2212 Business System Modeling
- ICS 2301 Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- BIT 2203 Advanced Programming
- BIT 2215 Project Management
- ICS 2311 Computer Graphics
- ICS 2405 Knowledge Based Systems
- BIT 2221 Computer Systems Project
- BIT 23 01 Research Methodology
- SMA 2230 Probability and Statistics II
- BIT 2222 ICT and Society
- ICS 2400 Transaction Processing Systems
- BIT 2119 Management Information Systems
- ICS 2305 Systems Programming
- BIT 2303 Project (2 unit)
- ICS 2307 Simulation and Modeling
- BIT 2305 Human Computer Interface.
- ICS 2403 Distributed Systems
- BIT 2210 Business Information Strategy
- BIT 2317 Fundamentals of Computer Security.
- BIT 2309 Principles and Practices of Management
- BIT 2313 Professional Issues in Information Technology
- ICS 2303 Multimedia Systems
- BIT 2302 Industrial Management
- BIT 2315 Electronic Commerce
- BIT 2318 Information System Audit
- BIT 2319 Artificial Intelligence
- BIT 2316 Industrial Attachment