Bachelor of Science in Computer Science - overview
Kibabii University’s Bachelor of Computer Science degree is a four-year undergraduate program that will enhance your world view as well as develop your critical thinking, problem-solving skills and creativity. You will gain the knowledge and qualifications you need to pursue a variety of careers in the field of computing.
Through a mix of theory and practical experience, you will learn the fundamentals of computer science, including how to design and build software, how to develop effective ways to solve computing problems such as storing information in databases, and how to create new and better ways of using computers. You will study the latest technologies and ideas in this rapidly evolving field.
In the first year of the BCS program, you will typically take five courses per term, including introductory courses in computer programming, calculus and computer science concepts as well as courses in Communication and Business.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science - objectives
The Department of Computer Science at Kibabii University has outlined the following objectives for the Bachelor os Science in Computer Science degree program:
- Graduates will demonstrate the ability to apply knowledge of mathematics to develop and analyze computing systems.
- Graduates will have a solid understanding of the theory and concepts underlying computer science.
- Graduates will have the conceptual knowledge and background to be able to analyze a problem and identify and define the computing requirements for its solution.
- Graduates will have the ability to design a computer-based system, process, component or program as well as design non-computing requirements.
- Graduates will have the ability to implement a computer-based system, process, component or program.
- Graduates will have the ability to evaluate, verify, trouble-shoot, test and analyze an existing computer-based system, process, component or program.
- Graduates will demonstrate an ability to use current techniques, skills and tools for computing practice.
- Graduates will be able to work effectively in teams in designing and implementing software systems and effectively manage conflicts, optimize resources and meet deadlines.
- Graduates will be aware of key ethical issues affecting computer science and their responsibilities as computer science professionals.
- Graduates will demonstrate the ability to orally communicate ideas and concepts clearly and in an organized manner.
- Graduates will demonstrate the ability to write clear system documentation, user documentation and research reports.
- Graduates will have an understanding of the impact of computers in society.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science - entry requirements
To enroll into the Bachelor of Computer Science degree program at Kibabii University, a student requires to meet the following minimum qualifications:
- A mean grade of a C+ at KCSE and at least a C+ in Mathematics, Physics or Physical Sciences.
- Principal passes in relevant science subjects one of which must be in Mathematics or Physics at A-Level,
- Diploma in Computer Studies or its equivalent (May be exempted in relevant units)