Social, economic, cultural and political transformations rapidly taking place in Kenya and this sub-region in general are causing a variety of social and psychological problems. As a result, there is increasing need for the services of well trained counselors and counseling psychologist to address these problems due to this the University of Nairobi has set up a course to curb this problem.
The objectives of the programme are:
i) To understand and appreciate the role of politics in human life.
ii) To equip students with skills of understanding and conducting research on politics, political processes and political systems globally.
iii) To acquire appropriate skills that can enable students to effectively participate and contribute to political development in the country.
1. KCSE with a C+ or equivalent or KCSE with a C plain or equivalent Plus a Diploma (including IB Diploma) or equivalent from a recognized post- secondary institution.
2. KCE/EACE Div. III/ Ordinary GCE or equivalent Plus a Diploma (including IB Diploma) or equivalent from a recognized post- secondary institution.
3. KACE or EAACE./ Advanced GCE Certificate with one principal pass Plus a Diploma (including IB Diploma) or equivalent from a recognized postsecondary institution, KACE or EAACE certificate with two principal passes or equivalent.
4. International Baccalaureate Diploma or a degree from a recognized University or equivalent.
5. A Diploma course shall be required to have covered at least 3 course units of 45 contact hours each over a minimum period of 2 semesters of 15 weeks or 270 contact hours.
Introduction to Psychology
History and Systems of Psychology
Psychology of Learning, Motivation and Emotion
Psychology of Human Development
Research Methods in Psychology
Psychology of Ageing
Psychology of Adjustment
Psychology of Exceptional Persons
Psychology of Parenting
Therapeutic Techniques in Counselling
Theories of Counselling
Fundamentals of Counselling
The Counselling Relationship
Research Project (2 Units)
Counselling of the Youth
Post-Traumatic Stress Counselling
Practicum, (2 Units)
Counselling Terminally Ill Patients
Family, Marital & Sex Counseling
Counselling Families of Persons with Special Needs
Counselling Persons with Alcohol and Substance Abuse Problems
Counselling Outcomes, Issues, and Ethics