Bachelor of Information amp Communication Technology - overview
The BICT degree at IUPS addresses three areas of concern where there is great need for local solutions namely Software development, Communication Technologies and Database Systems.
Given the practical nature of the degree, at the end of their study, a graduate given the required software development tools, will be able to produce solutions for an enterprise other than recommend already developed solutions. BICT graduates will not be to just users of technologies which they have no idea of how to design and implement, but will be able to develop innovative solutions for problems in organizations.
High School leavers, Holders of relevant Diploma
Bachelor of Information amp Communication Technology - objectives
Plan, implement, manage and maintain enterprise software application systems using current software development technologies.
Recognize software development methodologies, that will help build sound policies of developing software in an enterprise.
Analyze, Design, implement, manage and maintain enterprise ICT infrastructure.
Relate law with ICT and hence apply it within the business framework.
Apply current trends in hardware technology and software development methodologies in the market.
Bachelor of Information amp Communication Technology - entry requirements
- KCSE mean grade C + (PLUS) or equivalent and a minimum of C in Mathematics, English or Kiswahili, Physics or Physical Sciences or an equivalent qualification recognized by the University Senate.
- KACE with 2 principal passes or equivalent, one of which must be in Mathematics or Physics, and a subsidiary pass with a Credit pass in Physics at O level or an equivalent qualification recognized by the University Senate.
- A Pre – University qualification with a Credit pass from an institution recognized by the University Senate.
- Pass in a Diploma recognized by the University Senate.
- IGCSE – 5 upper level passes
- Bridging Certificate in Mathematics/ Physics or English or both, with a Credit pass, recognized by the University Senate
- GCE – 5 O-level passes with C and above and/or principal C at A level
- 12th grade – GPA of 2.5
- KCE – Div II above
Recognition of prior learning
The following Diploma Qualifications are eligible for entry into this programme and may be considered for certain exemptions:
- Diploma in Computer Studies (KNEC)
- Diploma in Information Technology (KNEC)
- Diploma in Information Technology (JKUAT)
- International Advanced Diploma In Computer Studies (NCC)
- IMIS Diploma/Higher Diploma
- Diploma in Information Technology - KCA University
- Diploma in IT - Strathmore University
- Certified in Information Communication Technology(CICT) KASNEB
Entry into the 2nd year: (6 trimesters, each 4 months)
- KSPS Advanced Diploma in IT with a Credit Pass in both KSPS Diploma in IT and KSPS Advanced Diploma in IT or
- Any other equivalent Diploma with a Credit Pass from a recognized institution acceptable to the University Senate, subject to taking and passing all the units required in the First Year of study but were not taken during the Diploma programme.