The ideological heritage of educational instruction at Kenya
Highlands Evangelical University dates back to 1932 when missionaries of
World Gospel Mission saw the need for training their converts.
This instruction not only needed to cover biblical and
ministry-related subjects, but also teacher training. Teachers were
prepared for the sixteen primary schools the mission had started. These
first teachers also served as preachers in their communities.
A school first started in 1936 in the Sotik area as a Teachers Bible
School and met in various locations. In 1944, the school was
officially opened as Sotik Bible School and courses continued to combine
training techniques in primary school teaching and Bible.
The following year, the Bible School students were separated from
the teacher training group as the need for trained leadership for the
church grew. In 1950 the school was relocated from Sotik to Cheptenye in
Due to the need for more space to develop
classrooms, dormitories, library and chapel facilities and staff
housing, another plot was sought which would be separate from the
established mission stations. The present site was acquired in 1953, and
in 1955 Kenya Highlands Bible School was begun, offering a two-year
Bible programme leading to the Christian Workers Certificate. In 1957
the course was upgraded to include a three-year programme leading to a
diploma in Bible.
In 1962, the level of admission and training
was again elevated to provide training on a secondary level in both
biblical and secular subjects, and the name was changed to Kenya
Highlands Bible College. In 1967 the college started offering secondary
school education up to 1973 when it ceased offering O-level.
In 1970 the Bible College Council was constituted, drawing its
membership equally from the church and the mission, and charged with the
responsibility of managing the institution and improving the academic
standards. In 1971 the college admitted its first class of
post-secondary students into a four-year curriculum, modeled after
degree-granting Bible colleges in North America, leading to the degree
of Bachelor of Religion in Biblical Studies.
In 1989 the college
was registered by the Commission for Higher Education to operate as a
private College and was given candidency for accreditation.
TheUniversity Council and the Administration have been meeting regularly
with the Commission to bring facilities and academic programmes up to
recognized University standards. The newly named Kenya Highlands
Evangelical University recieved its Charter on the 23rd March
2011,presented by H.E The President Hon. Mwai Kibaki. KHEU is now a
fully-fledged insitution of higher learning after recieving its
Throughout their history, the Africa Gospel Church and World Gospel
Mission have sought to respond to the needs of the church and community
by developing and upgrading their educational training programmes. The
current upgrading to Kenya Highlands Evangelical University is a product
of this development as the University continues to strive to be faithful
to scriptural truth and relevant to its culture by its educational
objective of equipping students for ministry through academic excellence
and practical experience.