Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
- Public University
- #005 Kenyan university ranking
- Type: Public University
- Main Campus: Nairobi
- Established: 1987
- Ranking : #005
- Post-Graduate: 0 programs
- Undergraduate: 64 programs
- Diploma:0 programs
- Certificate:0 programs
- Proffessional :0 programs
About Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology Overview
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) is a public university near Nairobi, Kenya. It is situated in Juja, 36 kilometres northeast of Nairobi, along the Nairobi-Thika SuperHighway. It offers courses in Technology, Engineering, Science, Architecture and Building sciences. The university has a strong research interest in the areas of biotechnology and engineering.
The university offers accommodation to some of the students at subsidized rates. There are six students' hostels inside the school compound of which three are occupied by males and the rest three are occupied by females only.
There are three student dining cafeterias: the candle in the wind, main mess and the Hall six dining mess.
The university has a library that has a seating capacity of 600 students and it is stocked with 80,000 volumes. The library also offers other essential services like online services, reference, inter library loan, user-education, orientation, online information services, photocopying, binding and repair.
Why Choose Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
Our core values at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology are:
- Quality -The university shall always be quality driven in all its activities and operations.
- Teamwork - The university shall maintain a culture of teamwork to ensure synergy in the conduct of its activities.
- Transparency -The university will maintain a culture of transparency in dealing with staff and students and all its stakeholders.
- Accountability -The university shall on a continuous basis enhance its accountability systems and practices.
- Professionalism -JKUAT shall put emphasis on expertise and professionalism in the conduct of its activities and provision of service to all stakeholders.
- Innovation - The university shall endeavour to utilize the latest, up-to-date and most appropriate technology in achieving its objectives.
- Integrity -The university shall be honest, truthful and reliable in the provision of services to its customers.
- Dynamism - The university shall be responsive and adjust its programmes and services to the changing national and global development needs.
Our University Philosophy
- JKUAT values the need for transformational leadership to steer the University towards achieving her vision and mission and contribute towards the social and economic development of the country.
- JKUAT shall endeavour to attract, develop, motivate and retain a multi-skilled workforce while nurturing a consultative working environment.
- JKUAT shall adopt and utilise ethical standards and best practices in training, research and innovation in order to produce dynamic leaders.
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology History
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology was started in 1981 as a Middle Level College (Jomo Kenyatta College of Agriculture and Technology (JKCAT)) by the Government of Kenya with the generous assistance from the Japanese Government. Plans for the establishment of JKCAT started in 1977. In early 1978, the founding father of the nation, Mzee Jomo Kenyatta donated two hundred hectares of farmland for the establishment of the college.
The first group of students were admitted on 4th May 1981. H.E. Daniel Arap Moi formally opened JKCAT on 17th March 1982. The first graduation ceremony was held in April 1984 with Diploma Certificates presented to graduates in Agricultural Engineering, Food Technology and Horticulture.
On 1st September 1988, H.E. Daniel Arap Moi, declared JKCAT a constituent College of Kenyatta University through a legal Notice, under the Kenyatta University Act (CAP 210C). The name of JKCAT officially changed to Jomo Kenyatta University College of Agriculture and Technology (JKUCAT). It was finally established as a University through the JKUAT Act, 1994 and inaugurated on 7th December 1994.
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology contact details.
- 0675870001, 0675870002, 0675870003
- view on map
Programs at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
Popular programs at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
- Bachelor of science Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Industrial Biotechnology
- Bachelor of science Control and Instrumentation
- Food Science and Postharvest Technology
- Bachelor of science Human Nutrition and Dietetics
- Bachelor of science Financial Engineering
- Bachelor of Radiography
- Bachelor of Quantity Survey