The Bachelor of Tourism Management (BTM) programme at Moi University aims at producing highly, but broadly interdisciplinary oriented professionals in aspects of tourism planning, development and management and; also sensitized to the variety of the natural and cultural habitats of the world, the basis of tourism activities.
The Bachelor of Tourism Management emphasises student-centered learning approach which constitutes problem-based learning, project oriented, work-based and cooperate learning.
After completion of the training, the Bachelor of Tourism Management graduates from Moi University should be equipped with competencies (knowledge, skills and attitudes) in planning, development and management of tourism and recreation resources in ways that enhance sustainability.
Minimum Entry Requirements
To be admitted for the Bachelors of Tourism Management degree Programme at Moi University, candidates must satisfy the minimum entrance requirements for Moi University as stipulated in the Joint Admissions Board requriements.
Candidates with equivalent qualifications may also be considered.
Direct entrants from high school must meet minimum University entry requirements.
Besides Mathematics, English or Kiswahili, candidates must have passed the KCSE in the best remaining subjects in groups
- III - History and Government, Geography, Christian Religious Education, Islamic Religious Education and Hindu Religious Education.
- IV - Home Science, Art and Design, Agriculture, Aviation Technology, Computer Studies
- VI - French, German, Arabic, Music, Business Studies.
The above requirements and clusters may change from time to time.
Mature Entrants Candidates must have passed KCSE or equivalent with a minimum grade C in the subject groups above.
In addition to this the candidate must have successfully completed a relevant diploma course recognised by the Moi University senate. Such candidates must have passed with at least a credit and have at least one year relevant working experience after obtaining the diploma. Such candidates will enter in the second year of study.
The objectives of the Bachelors of Tourism Management degree programme at Moi University are to :
- Provide training programmes which are flexible, relevant, rigorous and consistent with the best tourism practice and; which also, embody the principles of ethical practice and social responsibility.
- Provide students with appropriate knowledge, skills and competencies in strategic tourism planning, policy formulation, and management of tourism enterprises.
- Provide students with appropriate knowledge, skills and competencies that will enable them to integrate various parameters (i.e. social, cultural, economic, environmental, technological and political parameters) in planning, organisation and management of the tourism industry.
- Provide students with appropriate knowledge, skills and competencies in tourism product development, tourism service delivery and tourism marketing and promotion.
- Enable students to develop appropriate research methods and skills in the development of quality tourism including aspects of operational quality control management, strategic approaches to quality management, analysis of performance indicators, and best practice in national and international tourism development.
- Provide students with appropriate knowledge, skills and competencies in human resource management for the strategic planning and development of sustainable tourism.
Tourism System, Communication Skills I, Development Concepts and Applications, Introduction to Tourism, Introduction to Tourism Operations, The Business of Tourism Beginners, French.
Service Management, Communication Skills II, Quantitative Skills II, Introduction to Service Management, Tourism Services Marketing I, Human Resource Management I, French Structure I,
Tourism Planning and Development State, Society and Development External Environment, Tourism Policy and Planning, Tourism Product Development, French Structure II.
Hospitality Services, Introduction to Hospitality Operations, Introduction to Hospitality Management, Introduction to Hospitality Service Management, Industrial Placement I. (Outside the Semester)
Strategic Management of Tourism II, Service Quality Management II, Tourism Services Marketing II, Human Resource Management II, Intermediate French.
Strategic Management of Tourism II, Strategy and Planning Tourism Project, Planning and Development Management, Accounting for Decision-making, French for Tourism I, Industrial Attachment II (Outside the Semester).
Elective Semester Series Students are required to select one of the following areas:
- Travel Management Systems: Travel Management Tour Operations Destination Management French for Tourism II
- Cultural/Social/Community Tourism Systems: Cultural Tourism, Sports Tourism, Development Rural Tourism, Development French for Tourism II,
Eco-Tourism Management, Sustainable Tourism Development, Wildlife-based Tourism, Coastal and Marine Tourism Management, Senior Project.
Note: All French language courses are based on its usage in the tourism industry that is professional French. The grammar content is never separate from the module themes of each semester. French Language Beginnerís French French Structure I French Structure II Intermediate French French for Tourism I French for Tourism II