Bachelor of science degree in foods nutrition and dietetics
- Bachelor of science degree in foods, nutrition and dietetics
- Kisii University
- Bachelors Degree Program
- 4 years
Bachelor of science degree in foods, nutrition and dietetics program at Kisii University course details
The expertise and subject content in Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics prepares professionals capable of providing services in various settings to help solve health and nutritional problems associated with food and nutrition inadequacies at the individual, family, and at the community levels.
The Bachelor of science degree in foods, nutrition and dietetics course addresses current issues in foods, nutrition and dietetics, and will be geared towards filling existing gaps in manpower needs in this area in both the public and private sector.
Additional courses in agricultural sciences will be offered to provide a good understanding of issues related to food production and food supply at home and national level.
Professional openings for graduates in Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics include the ministries of Health, Agriculture, Private and Government Hospitals, Hospices, Non-government organizations (NGOs), and other community service oriented organizations.
Graduates of the programme can be deployed in the community as field nutritionists by government ministries or NGOs, to advice families on food production and consumption in order to improve household food security and nutrition status.
In addition they can also serve in outreach programmes within hospitals where they could follow and advice discharged patients with diet related illnesses.
The graduates of this programme are also well prepared for self-employment in the area of food service delivery, and as diet counsellors to individuals or groups with diet related ailments. This can therefore, strengthen and contribute to primary health care which emphasizes preventive rather than curative health care. The growth of the food industry in Kenya and other African countries means additional employment opportunities in that the industry will utilize graduates in human nutrition and dietetics in their outreach programmes and in their research departments. The programme is unique in that it produces a special cadre of professionals who will be well grounded in foods, nutrition and dietetics as well as in agricultural sciences. This background is essential to ensure adequate food security and proper utilization of food.
Minimum Entry Requirements
To be eligible for admission, candidates must satisfy the minimum entry requirements as set out by Kisii University statutes.
- Candidates must have passed the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) at the minimum B - grade in the courses below:
- Alternative A: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics
- Alternative B:Biological Sciences,Physical Sciences, Mathematics
- Geography or any of theGeography or any of the group IV subjects
- Candidates with a diploma in related areas from a recognized institution may be admitted, provided that they passed at credit level or above.
- Admission is also open to other degree holders with minimum entry requirements.
The general objectives of the Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics programme are to:
Offer opportunities for students to develop professional competencies in the areas of Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics, which will help them, improve the health and nutrition status of the people they will serve;
Prepare students with professional competencies necessary for employment in institutions, industries and organizations related to their field of training or for self-employment; and
Develop research skills in the area of Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics aimed at improving the quality of life of individuals and communities.
By the end of the programme the graduate should be able to:
Provide advice on proper food choices to individuals or communities to promote healthy eating, prevent malnutrition or manage diet related conditions;
Provide expertise on food utilization and preservation to improve food and nutrition security and overall nutritional status of communities;
Undertake research in emerging issues in the areas of food, nutrition and dietetics; and
Establish entrepreneurial activities in the areas of Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics.
People who viewed this Bachelor of science degree in foods, nutrition and dietetics program offered at Kisii University were also interested in:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Technical University of Mombasa (TUM)
- Bachelor of Science in Horticulture
- University of Embu (Embuni)
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture Extension Education
- University of Eldoret (UoE)
- Bachelor of Science Biochemistry
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT)
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN BIOLOGY
- University of Nairobi (UoN)
- Bachelor of Science in Water resource Management
- University of Embu (Embuni)