The goal of Bachelor of Laws degree programme at Kisii University is to provide students with a wide range of skills, knowledge, attitude, values and ethos for effective practice of law.
The programme will help the students in the dissemination, preservation of legal knowledge and provide training of lawyers on the foundations of ethics, patriotism and service to humanity.
The programme is intended to produce excellent law graduates tooled to contribute to national, regional and international development and to serve the legal profession and the community with life-long dedication, passion and the pursuit for excellence.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- All candidates admitted to the degree programme of Bachelor of Laws must satisfy the minimum Kisii University common entrance requirements.
- In addition candidates must obtain at least the minimum cut off point for the year as determined from any one of the following four cluster subjects from revised K.C.S.E. structure. Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education.
- Candidates must have attained a minimum grade of B plain in English language.(lower grades in English not less than C plain may be admitted as long as the student undertakes to be responsible for bridging the English grades by taking the relevant Council for Legal Education (CLE) examinations upon completion of the Bachelor of Law degree without relying on Kisii University to get admission to the Kenya School of Law.
- At least any one from the following.
- History and Government
- Christian Religion Education
- Social Education and Ethics
- Hindu Religious Education
- Islamic Religious Education
- Those holding qualification equivalents to above from institutions recognized by the University Academic Board.
- Admission may be offered to candidates who have successfully undertaken a two-year diploma course and passed with a credit and above from a recognized institution subject to the fulfillment of contract of Legal Education requirements.
- A degree or degrees from an institution recognized by the Academic Board.
- A holder of Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education with at least two Principal passes and above.
- To Train lawyers who espouse the highest consciousness of professional ethics and patriotism.
- To instill the ideals of humanity, honesty, hard work and moral rectitude among students.
- To attract and maintain faculty staff who inspire students and offer intellectual and practical solutions to the societys social, economic and political challenges.
- To promote teaching, leaning and research in the area of law that generates legal contours to regulate societys increasing discoveries emanating from scientific inquiry and technological change.
- To provide knowledge and skills for the learners to appreciate and understand the existing legal framework and to add value to the expanding legal profession.
- To prepare students for graduate studies.