The Bachelor of Business Information Technology (BBIT) at Strathmore University is a degree program that prepares students to work in the fields of software development, database administration and networking.
BBIT is a modern course that brings together two key aspects of computer training, that is, the link between Information Technology and the business environment.
The BBIT program at Strathmore University prepares students for the job market through thorough knowledge of Information Technology with an understanding and appreciation of how business is organized and managed.
Minimum Entry Requirements
The entry requirements for the Fulltime Bachelor of Business Information Technology programme at Strathmore University are:
- KCSE mean grade C+ with a minimum of C in Mathematics and English,
- A-level with 2 principal passes and 1 subsidiary pass, plus O-level 6 credits which should include Maths and English.
- Diploma from recognized institutions
BBIT Exempt Additional Entry Requirements
- Strathmore IMIS graduates: Strathmore IMIS graduates can get exemptions in BBIT for courses passed in IMIS Diploma, Higher Diploma or Graduate Diploma. Candidates are required to have passed with an average of merit, and exemptions are as follows:
- IMIS Diploma – 6 units
- Higher Diploma – 8 Units
- Graduate Diploma – 12 units
- Candidates must also have attained at KCSE, a mean grade of C+ with C in both Mathematics and English.
Exempted students join the 2nd year class.
- Strathmore DBIT graduates
- DBIT students who score an average grade of Credit and above in the DBIT examinations are eligible for exemptions when joining the BBIT course.
- DBIT exemption students receive up to 19 Units exemptions in the BBIT programme and join the course in 2nd year 2nd semester for the fulltime course and 2nd year 1st semester for the evening course.
Exemptions are granted at the discretion of the Academic Council.
Candidates seeking to do BBIT are required to sit an Entrance test which consists of:
- Mathematics exam
- English exam
- Oral interview
Candidates should report to the University by 8:00am on the interview day and should bring:
- 3 passport-size photographs
- Original and photocopies of all relevant academic and professional certificates
- Copy of national ID or Birth Certificate or Passport
- KSH. 600 entrance examination fee.
- Interviews are conducted every Tuesday and Thursday at 8.00am.
The Bachelor of Business and Information Technology course at Strathmore University is structured to focus on issues surrounding development and implementation of IT solutions that meet the organizational strategies, that is:
Strategic use of information systems to give businesses a competitive advantage through proper information management
Management of ICT as a strategic corporate resource
The Bachelor of Business Information Technology course at Strathmore University is offered in two stages:
Stage I (Year I and II) and Stage II (Year III and IV).
Stage I consists of twenty eight units and Stage II consists of twenty seven units. Each stage is equivalent to two academic years.
At the end of Stage I, the students are required to go for Community based attachment and at the end of Stage II, the students are required to go for Industrial Attachment where they are expected to apply the acquired skills in real life workplace.
French, German, Japanese, Spanish
All modules are examined in the semester in which they are taken.
Examinations either consist of Continuous Assessments and University Examinations or Projects worked on in the entire semester.
Continuous assessments will normally comprise practicals, tests and assignments. Continuous assessments account for a percentage of the total marks and written University Examinations another percentage of the total marks. Units that consist entirely of practical work may be assessed out of 100% by means of continuous assessment.
Each unit is graded out of 100 marks and the pass mark is 40%.