Machakos University College is a Constituent College of Kenyatta University.
Founded in 1957 as Machakos Technical Rural Training School, it has undergone several transformations; Machakos Technical and Trade School in 1958, Machakos Technical School in 1967, Machakos Technical Training Institute in 1987 and on 16th September, 2011, through the Legal Notice No. 130, the institution was upgraded to its current status.
Having been established and grown as a Technical Institute, MUC has cut a niche in training quality technical personnel in the areas of Motor Vehicle Engineering, Electrical and Electronics, Clothing, Textile and Fashion Design, Hospitality and Civil Engineering, Business, Education, Environment, Agribusiness and Applied Sciences. The University College currently boasts of having some of the best equipped engineering workshops and laboratories in the country.
Being ISO 9001: 2008 QMS Certified, MUC in response to emerging issues and in its endeavour to achieve its Mission of -To be a Model Institution of Higher Learning, Science, Technology and Innovation- has through market research and global trends in technology and environmental issues, developed and mounted 101 programmes in areas of Engineering, Education, Business, Science, ICT, Agriculture, Hospitality and Humanities. These programmes range from undergraduate to Doctoral Studies and are offered on full time, evening, weekend intensive and institution based modes of study in two campuses; Main Campus in Machakos Town and Mlolongo campus. Plans are underway to launch e-learning and other campuses in other areas.
Research, collaborations and community outreach are among the fastest growing fronts in the University College. This has led to 100% placement of students in their relevant industry for attachment and an ever growing demand for the graduands especially in the technical fields. The Le-Technisch Hotel (A hospitality training facility) has become the number one conference facility in Machakos County.
Machakos University College remains committed to nurturing citizens and scholars who are anchored in their localities and nations but who can assert themselves confidently in a world of interconnected research.
Machakos University was founded in 1957 as a Technical Rural Training School by the then colonial Government. It was converted into Machakos Technical and Trade School in 1958, Machakos Technical School in 1967, and Machakos Technical Training Institute in 1987. The Institution was upgraded to Machakos University College through Legal Notice No. 130, on 16th September, 2011.
The journey towards achieving a full University status started in earnest right at the inception. The University College had six degree programmes across its five initially constituted Schools, namely the School of Engineering & Technology, School of Education, School of Humanities & Social Sciences, school of Hospitality & Tourism Management and the School of Business and Economics.
The University College embarked on a focused and sustained growth agenda involving recruitment of highly trained thematic leaders in various disciplines and expansion of infrastructure. This has seen the number of students grow from 2500 at inception to 6250 currently. The number of Schools has increased from the initial five to seven. The new Schools are: School of Agriculture & Natural Resource Management and the School of Pure & Applied Sciences.
The Commission for University Education has made three inspection visits to the institution and their reports have shaped the developments of the University to full-fledged status. Recently, The Commission approved twenty seven programmes ranging from undergraduate, masters to PhD levels. Located at the heart of the Lower Eastern Region, and situated only a Kilometre away from Machakos City along Machakos/Wote Road, the University is destined to continue its growth trajectory to World Class status in the near future.
Located at Machakos town along the Machakos - Makueni road in an
atmosphere conducive for serious study.